Skip to content

Sorbfloc® biodegradable flocculant for greener wastewater treatment

Sorbfloc® is a biodegradable flocculant for cleaning wastewater. It replaces toxic chemicals and promotes a greener wastewater treatment industry.


Globally, 80 per cent of wastewater flows back into the ecosystem without being treated or reused, causing harm to aquatic animals and disease in humans who use polluted water as a drinking source. The remaining 20 per cent is normally treated with synthetic polymers that are potentially harmful to the environment.

One of these is polyacrylamide (PAM), a persistent, water-soluble polymer often regarded as more eco-friendly than insoluble polymers. Recent research suggests, though, that PAMs may be nanoplastics that can bioaccumulate in organisms and pollute natural water resources.

Green flocculant for wastewater treatment

Sorbfloc® is an eco-friendly flocculent for wastewater treatment made of biopolymers – non-toxic, biodegradable compounds that can replace harmful PAMs. The biopolymers capture organic and inorganic particles in the wastewater, forming them into larger masses that are easily removed in the treatment process.

Sorbfloc® must be combined with a very small, non-toxic amount of a cross binder. Sorbwater Technology provides aluminium and iron as a cross binder and can provide assistance with mixing and dosing

Sorbfloc® has a wide range of treatment areas – from municipal wastewater and grey water and to tank wash water and industrial wastewater. One promising area is land-based aquaculture, where Sorbfloc® can be used in existing filtration systems, and the treated water can be released into the ocean without harm to marine life.


Concrete benefits

Wastewater treatment plants currently using PAMS or other synthetic polymers can easily switch to Sorbfloc® without investing in a new system or additional hardware. This keeps the cost low for treatment plants seeking greener alternatives.

Moreover, because Sorbfloc® is non-toxic, the sludge produced during wastewater treatment can be upcycled into other products such fertiliser and animal feed, which promotes the circular economy.


Market potential

The wastewater treatment chemicals market size is currently valued at USD 22 billion and is estimated to reach USD 35 billion by 2023.

Sustainable water treatment solutions are more sought-after than ever due to increasing environmental concerns, a greater focus on public health and more stringent government regulations.

Sorbfloc® is currently being used in wastewater treatment in the Netherlands, Norway, the UK and the US. The company plans to expand into other European countries as well as the Middle East and South America.

Clean water and sanitation

6. Clean water and sanitation

About the goal

Sorbfloc® promotes sustainable water treatment to meet the world’s growing demand for clean water.

Responsible consumption and production

12. Responsible consumption and production

About the goal

Sorbfloc® uses biodegradable compounds, reduces the use of harmful chemicals and enables sludge upcycling, which contributes to the circular economy.

Contact company



Fagernes 4, 5043 BERGEN, Norway

Alette Løbø Viken

R&D Manager

+47 938 37 325

Data engineers at work - Origo Solutions is streamlining floating offshore wind with SCADA+, which compiles comprehensive data into a single, user-friendly interface for a total overview of operations, slashing costs and emissions.

Submit a solution

Are you a Norwegian company and want to have your own article on Business Norway? Register your interest and we’ll get in touch.
Find out more